Winter weather brings new excitement to fishing in Northeast Pennsylvania. Ice fishing is a great way to get out in the fresh air and have some fun.
Before you drop your line:
- Always check ice thickness with an auger fist. For a single person, four inches of solid ice is the minimum recommended. For a small group, seven inches of solid ice is the minimum recommended (and spread out to avoid too much pressure on one spot). Be aware that weather and other factors can affect the condition of the ice.
- Avoid the outer edges where ice tends to be weaker.
- Avoid areas with multiple or intersecting cracks, protruding logs, brush, plants, and docks, as nearby ice can be weakened.
- Always carry safety equipment and know how to use it.
- Don't venture out alone. Always bring a friend for added fun and safety.
All persons age 16 and over are required to have a license, signed in ink and visibly displayed, to fish. Fishing licenses can be purchased online, in person or over the phone. Visit thePennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission website to find a location or purchase your license or call: 877-707-4085