Train rides are returning to Steamtown National Historic Site (NHS) beginning Saturday, May 14, 2022 and coinciding with National Train Day. The Steamtown rail experience varies from short 30-minute trips exploring the park’s historic railroad yard to full-day trips through the Poconos. Short train rides, the Scranton Limited and Caboose Experience, will begin on Saturday, May 14th. The first excursion trip of the season will take place on Saturday, May 28th to Jessup, PA allowing visitors to experience the annual Saint Ubaldo Day “Running of the Saints” (La Corsa dei Ceri).
New for the 2022 season, all ticket sales will be credit card only. Starting Tuesday, April 19th visitors will be able to purchase advance tickets online through recreation.gov for our summer excursions (May-Aug.); tickets for our autumn excursions (Sep.-Oct.) will be released later in the season on Friday, July 15th. Tickets for our short train rides, the Scranton Limited and Caboose Experience, will not be available for advance purchase online and must be purchased on-site at the Information Kiosk, the day of your visit.
Beginning Saturday, May 14th:
• The Scranton Limited or the Caboose Experience will operate on Saturdays and Sundays, as staffing permits. Departure times are: 10:30am, 11:30am, 1:30pm, and 2:30pm.
• Tickets are $6 for adults and kids over the age of 5; kids 5 and under are free. Tickets must be purchased on-site at the Information Kiosk, the day of your visit.
On days we offer our longer excursion rides, the Caboose Experience will be offered in lieu of the Scranton Limited, as staffing permits.
2022 Summer Excursions: Tickets available for purchase online Tuesday, April 19th at 10:00am
• Saturday, May 28th – Jessup: Saint Ubaldo Day “Running of the Saints” (La Corsa dei Ceri)
• Sunday, June 12th – Gouldsboro: Special Railfest Excursion
• Saturday, June 18th – Carbondale: Outdoor Train (BIKE)
• Saturday, June 18th – Archbald: Outdoor Train (HIKE)
• Saturday, July 16th – Tobyhanna: Ice House Tour
• Saturday, June 25th Delaware Water Gap for Founder's Day
• Saturday, July 23rd – Archbald: Penn Division History
• Sunday, July 31st – Cresco: Antique Cars and Live Music
• Saturday, August 13th – East Stroudsburg: Lunch in the Park
• Sunday, August 28th – Cresco: Antique Cars and Live Music
2022 Autumn Excursions: Tickets available for purchase online Friday, July 15th at 10:00am
- • Saturday, September 24th – Carbondale: Autumn Marketplace
• Saturday, October 1st – East Stroudsburg: Pickle Me Poconos
• Saturday, October 8th – Gouldsboro: Pumpkin Patch
• Saturday, October 15th - Delaware Gap Fall Foliage
• Saturday, October 22nd – Tobyhanna: Fall Foliage and Town Tour
• Saturday, October 29th – Gouldsboro: Ghoulsboro Halloween
It’s never too early to start your trip planning! Specific event information can be found by visiting the event calendar on the park website anytime. Station information and ticket pricing can be found on recreation.gov by searching “Steamtown National Historic Site.”
• The NPS has updated its masking guidance based on the CDC’s new COVID-19 Community Levels tool, which helps communities decide what prevention steps to take.Masking requirements in NPS buildings are based on local conditions, however masks are still required on all forms of public transportation, including trains operated at Steamtown NHS.
• Train rides are subject to cancellation due to mechanical issues, inclement weather, or crew availability.
The following spaces and activities are available during regular visiting hours:
• The Visitor Center;
• The Park Store;
• The 1902 Roundhouse including the “Cut-a-Way” display;
• The 1937 Roundhouse;
• The Theater;
• The History Museum;
• The Technology Museum;
• Designated areas within the Railyard.
The health and safety of our visitors, employees, volunteers, and partners continues to be paramount. While the listed areas are accessible for visitors to enjoy, services may be limited. The?CDC has offered guidance?to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. We will continue to monitor all park functions to ensure that visitors adhere to CDC guidance for mitigating risks associated with the transmission of COVID-19 and take any additional steps necessary to protect public health.
Located in downtown Scranton, Pennsylvania, Steamtown NHS is open 9:00am to 5:00pm, daily. From Interstate-81 follow exit 185 (President Biden Expressway, formerly known as Central Scranton Expressway); then follow the brown and white signs to the park entrance at Lackawanna Avenue and Cliff Street (GPS: N 41.41, W 75.67). General park information is available by phoning (570) 340-5200, or by visiting the park website anytime.